Saturday, March 12, 2011

1930s Jacket; Mock-Up

Finally! Here is photographic evidence that I've been working on my 1930s jacket:
(Forgot all about taking a picture of the back though...Oops.)



As the fabric is bright orange, and that is a colour that doesn't play nice with my complexion, the jacket is modelled by Cecilia, who I received as a somewhat-late Christmas present. She is a 'Uniquely-You' dress-form and I absolutely love her! (Despite some of the headaches the fitting instructions caused.) She is my body double, although minus the paunchy little tummy. A size 4 cover was ordered for her, since you order that according to your bust  measurement... but that doesn't mean it'll be adequate for your hip measurement as I discovered when trying it on... somehow though, if you follow the directions for fitting they give you to a tee, it magically works itself out. Go figure.

And why, you may ask, is the dressform's name Cecilia? Because when our friend Tom was over during the holidays, the boys spent quite a few evenings at the local pub. I met with them the one night after work and they had decided to use pseudonyms, Tom was Scott (until he forgot he was supposed to be using an alias even though it was his idea to start with...) and my guy was Mark, and they had picked out "Cecilia Beckwith" for me... Oh.
 I can't remember if there was a reason why now. Probably there wasn't. Anyhow, since Cecilia is apparently my alter-ego, it seemed right to name my body double as such.

This post has been sitting around since last month believe it or not. That said,  I don't have a second muslin finished to post! This jacket sure is slow-going. Partly because for whatever reason when looking at the illustration on the pattern envelope it didn't occur to me that it has mitered corners... four of them... I hate sewing mitered corners! I never seem to clip them the right amount, so there is only one on the muslin that I'm actually happy with. Sewing the second muslin will give me some more practise before I get to the wool, but I still have this sense of foreboding.

Does anyone else have something they hate sewing? Maybe a shared dislike of mitered corners?


No comments:

Post a Comment