Friday, October 8, 2010

Lovely Wool Tweed for Lady Grey

Finally! Fabric for the Lady Grey coat! It's a lovely reddish wool tweed with tiny bits of purple in it. Here's a picture:

 I had looked in 4 other shops before going to Gala Fabrics, and I have to say I have no idea why it wasn't at the top of my list to begin with. They have a great selection of woollens, all types of silks, cotton prints, knits, bamboo and hemp fabrics, and that's just naming a few. They also carry Colette Patterns! I feel kind of silly having ordered mine online now. C'est la vie. So this being said many of the fabrics have pretty steep prices (especially the beautiful patterned silks) but it's all quality, and...they have sales! The first time I went there they had wools on sale for $6 per metre (1.09 yards), this time the ones on sale were $12, but that's still more affordable. Also important: the service is excellent! If you live in Vancouver and sew or are crafty in the slightest, chances are you've been to Dressew once or twice. Now, I'm not knocking them, I'm there for one thing or another every other week, but when I went to Gala Fabrics and picked out my pretty fabric, and gave it to the man at the cutting table, it was the usual "How much do you need?" and I replied with the yardage (well, it's metres here, but you get the idea). But then: he asked me if I needed thread. Now, this doesn't seem like a big deal, and I was pleasantly surprised because I am forever forgetting to purchase thread at the same time as the fabric. However, he then takes the cut fabric over to the thread and picks out a perfect match for it. Then: "Do you need lining?" Yes, actually I do. So he picks out a perfectly matching lining as well. How's that for service? Not like Dressew at all, when you know you're lucky if someone willingly helps you, and must be blessed that day if the cashier is in a good mood. Again, I'm not complaining, it just seemed like such a treat to have wonderful service :)
Now I'm wondering if that's a good thing or a bad thing? Should a person get used to less than adequate service? Is it a reflection of our present-day society? Now fabric shopping is all of a sudden getting philosophical...

No comments:

Post a Comment